38 Meyrick Street
Consumer Line - 03454 04 05 06
Welsh Language - 03454 04 05 05
Mon to Fri - 9am to 5pm
What is the overall purpose of the role?
To help provide an effective and efficient advice service to members of the public. To help influence government and other organisations by informing them of the effect of their actions on the lives of clients.
What will I do?
• Interviewing clients, both face-to-face and on the telephone, letting the client explain their enquiry and helping the client to set priorities.
• Finding, interpreting and communicating the relevant information and exploring options and implications in order that the client can come to a decision.
• Acting, where necessary, on behalf of the client, negotiating, drafting or writing letters or making appropriate referrals.
• Completing clear and accurate case records.
• Recognising the root causes of problems and participating in taking appropriate action.
• Keeping up to date on important issues by attending the appropriate training and by essential reading.
What skills and experience will I need to be a volunteer?
• A commitment to the aims and principles of the CAB service.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Being open and approachable.
• Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
• Ability to sift through information and extract what is relevant.
• Basic mathematical skills, including percentages.
• Respect for views, values and cultures that are different to their own.
• An understanding of why confidentiality is important.