38 Meyrick Street
Consumer Line - 03454 04 05 06
Welsh Language - 03454 04 05 05
Mon to Fri - 9am to 5pm
What is the overall purpose of the role?
Volunteer Gateway Assessors deal with initial enquiries from clients face to face and, if they need further advice, help them work out the best ways to deal with this.
What will I do?
• Assess clients' problem(s) using sensitive listening and questioning skills.
• Identify key information about the problem including time limits, key dates and any requirement for urgent advice or action (using Adviceguide, scripts and any other diagnostic tools, as necessary).
• Signpost clients appropriately to suit their needs following agreed protocols.
• Provide clients with discrete advice appropriate to their individual needs following agreed protocols.
What skills and experience will I need to be a volunteer?
• A commitment to the aims and principles of the CAB service.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Being open and approachable.
• Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
• Ability to quickly sift through information and extract what is relevant.
• Basic mathematical skills, including percentages.
• Respect for views, values and cultures that are different to their own.
• An understanding of why confidentiality is important.